You are here:   Community
  |  Login

Google Ads

Minimize
 Forums Minimize

HomeHomeWildflower Repo...Wildflower Repo...Texas Wildflowe...Texas Wildflowe...Texas Wildflower Trip Report – Bluebell RoadTexas Wildflower Trip Report – Bluebell Road
Previous

Next
New Post
7/10/2018 9:38 PM

Bluebell Road

Trip Date: 7/10/2018

Communities visited: Independence, Burton, Industry, La Grange

Routes: FM 390, FM 2502, FM 77

Species: Eustoma exaltatum ssp. russellianum
Texas bluebells, Texas bluebell, Bluebell, Showy prairie gentian, Prairie gentian
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=euexr

See Also: Bluebell Gentian, a True Texas Beauty  http://www.wildflowerhaven.com/Commun...374/scope/posts

I was finally able to join this season's bluebell hunt, and my favorite road (FM 390 – Burton, Texas) did not disappoint me. Although, the coverage was a bit less than average there were some nice spots with good density of plants. Those of us who have been doing this for many years (16 now for me) will remember the huge field just east of Burton along FM 390. Several years back it looked like we had lost that field, but it appears to be making a comeback. I located three main locations:

1) Small field along FM 390 east of Independence

2) Very long stretch mixed in with Mesquite trees, east of the large field.

3) The large field east of Burton along FM 390

In each of the locations, I found at least one cluster of plants with white blooms. Most of the blooms were of the darker blue to blue-purple with some pale blue mixed in at times.
I also spotted a smaller cluster of plants at the SW corner of FM 2502 and US 290. And the really odd location was along FM 77 south of La Grange.  All of the plants I saw were healthy with lots of buds yet to bloom.

Here are two images from todays outing. I will have more later.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeWildflower Repo...Wildflower Repo...Texas Wildflowe...Texas Wildflowe...Texas Wildflower Trip Report – Bluebell RoadTexas Wildflower Trip Report – Bluebell Road